-first cold. thanks to germ sharing at daycare, X brought home a small bug that Y caught at 6.5 weeks old, thankfully he only had minor congestion.
-at 7 weeks he slept a 6.5 hour block at night
-9 week nurse appt. he weighed 6 kg (13 lbs) and was 61 cm tall (24 inches) with a 40 cm head circumference (16 inches). he got an oral vaccine of rotateq, and all else was normal.
-at 10 weeks he slept an 8.5 hour block at night
-it seems that he only has trouble with lactose, not dairy in general. since his digestion seemed to be settling down, at around 9-10 weeks i re-tried some dairy items that were lactose-free and all has been fine. so, hooray, i can eat cheese again!
-3 month growth spurt. phew! that was a toughy, just as i remember with X. for more than a week, maybe two, it was constant nursing, and he slept lightly/was easily stirred awake.
-he is now wearing size 9 month clothing, and on to 12 month stuff!
-sleep pattern. he really doesnt have one, but if forced i would say: 45 minute nap in morning, ~1.5 hour nap in afternoon, ~45 minute nap before dinner. to sleep around 9p and then 3-5 hour sleep block initially, then up every 1.5 hours or so. wakes up at 8:30a.
-his digestion seems to be the thing still hampering his sleep, though its gotten much better since the early weeks. at least now its less gas that is waking him up and more that he needs to poop.
-from perhaps 5-9p is his most fussy period
-he can sleep by himself for most naps now, but still sleeps on me for the tail end of the night.
-around 6-7 weeks he began fussing to have us to put him down. he likes to have time to himself either laying down or in a chair without being touched. he quietly takes it all in.
-around 7-8 weeks he started wanting to be carried facing out to look at everything and thus no longer wants to be carried like a baby.
-one day i had to put him down not yet fully asleep to go to the bathroom. he started crying, but by the time i was finished in the bathroom he was quiet. he had put himself to sleep! NEVER once did that occur with X.
-he coos/'talks' a LOT! i dont remember X doing this so much. and i swear he has mimicked several of our sounds.
-he is drooling and making bubbles. he likes to bite things, and i can already see two bottom tooth buds moving their way up in his gums.
-he likes to stand, and can hold himself up really well.
-he seems very motivated to grow up super fast. he loves watching X dance and sing and he loves when she shows him things. he watches us eat like he is a seriously curious student.
-he has been unclenching his fists. i love when he rests his hands on my chest while nursing. we do make fun of his hands though, calling them cheesy barf hands because of how they smell.
-he has done some adorable early giggling.
-he is a sweaty kid. like father, like son.
-he will ride in his stroller now, in forward facing mode (so, neither kid liked the bassinet-mode of the stroller).
1. parenting priority/interest changes. ive been thinking about how much has changed in my life (including myself) since kids but im not ashamed of it. i dont feel like ive really lost myself or whatever, im just trying out and working on new roles, new experiences, finding new things to enjoy about life and this world.
pre-kid priorities/interests (no particular order): dave, friends/family, having get-togethers, nature, travel, exploring locally, food, art, movies/tv, reading, relaxing, work.
priorities/interests with 2 kids (no particular order): kids, dave, friends/family, tv (select shows), baking, reading (though the subject/content has changed), nature, work, travel, exploring locally.
though i do wish i could feel a bit more well-rounded, i know i can pick up more and more things as the years go on and the kids get older and require less attention. im sure new, surprising interests will come along too, and that will be great. for me, im continually surprised that this life with two kids feels more and more comfortable. im okay with interests and priorities shifting for now, because as is very clear to me, nothing is forever and change is happening every day. there is no reason to think i'll be on this child-centric path for the rest of my life. im just trying to make the most of this section of the journey.
2. the gifts people have sent for Y (and X!) have been so lovely and thoughtful. i am humbled by how many people care and wanted to send something for a second child. we are very grateful.
3. i bought a small stash of (7) bumgenius pocket diapers from a friend and started using them when he was 13 lbs. we still need to use disposables when we run out of cloth for the day, but its been very nice to have them around. they are much easier to manage that i expected (remember we had the diaper service for X), and we dont even have a dryer. i look forward to getting the rest of my friends cloth diaper stash soon.
4. just to note it, if we had had a girl her name would have been bennet rose.
5. im getting good at picking things up with my toes while carrying Y in the carrier.
6. oh the dreaded hair shedding is occurring!
7. i can fit into my regular pants again, though im definitely squishier than ever. perhaps i can tone up a tiny bit in the months to come.